Background Image for Header:
Rules for Use of Library Materials in the WVRHC
- Registration with proper identification is required of all researchers. Visitors must sign in when arriving and sign out when departing. We reserve the right to inspect personal belongings as visitors enter and leave the library.
- Eating, drinking, and smoking are prohibited within the library. Researchers must refrain from loud or lengthy conversation in the reading rooms to maintain an atmosphere conducive to research.
- All special collections resources are non-circulating. Books and microfilm in the main reading room are open for browsing. Other materials must be requested at the reference desk and used only in designated reading areas. Materials being used must be kept in full public view at all times.
- Marking or writing on books, manuscripts, or other materials is strictly prohibited. Extreme care must be used in handling all special collections resources.
- Coats, handbags, briefcases, umbrellas, computer cases, parcels, and other personal belongings are prohibited in the manuscripts and rare books reading rooms. Lockers to secure these items are available behind the reference desk.
- Only pencils, paper, notepads and personal computers are permitted in the manuscripts and rare books reading rooms. The use of pens and scanning equipment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Cameras are permitted only in conjunction with a completed Camera Use Policy form.
- Archives and manuscripts researchers may use a maximum of one manuscript box, or one manuscript collection, whichever is smaller, at a time. Only one folder may be open at a time. The exact order and arrangement of the material must be maintained.
- Browsing is not permitted in the rare books collection. Staff will retrieve requested books from the shelves and bring them to a designated reading room and/or designated table. A maximum of three rare books may be requested at a time.
- Taking reference books into the manuscripts and rare books reading rooms is generally prohibited, but requests to do so will be considered on an individual basis.
- All notes and other materials must be presented to the attendant for inspection before leaving the manuscripts and rare books reading rooms.
- Requests for retrieval of materials and requests for photocopies will be accepted until 20 minutes before closing time.