Background Image for Header:
The following rules apply to the use of cameras in the Manuscripts Reading Room only. There are no restrictions regarding camera use in the main reading room or the microfilm room.
Permission to photograph archival materials in the Manuscripts Reading Room for the sole purpose of private study and research shall be granted on a case by case basis. Permission may be granted only by a permanent member of the WVRHC curatorial or reference staff. This practice is meant to supplement note taking, not replace it. Researchers who have large scale copy needs or who wish to order high quality photographic images may inquire about policies and procedures, forms and fees at the Reference Desk.
Researchers must agree to abide by the following rules:
- I will request permission from WVRHC staff before photographing each item.
- I will place the WVRHC acknowledgement transparency within the body of each photograph.
- I will turn off the flash and sound on my camera and understand that tripods, special lighting equipment, portable scanners, and camera cases are not permitted in the Manuscripts Room.
Material Handling Rules
- I understand that archives and manuscripts materials must be handled with extraordinary care.
- I will not bend, press down, or otherwise manipulate materials to get a better photograph.
- I will keep materials flat on the table or in the cradle provided.
- I will ask WVRHC staff for assistance with fastened items.
- I will not remove items from their plastic sleeves.
- I will not stand on chairs or other furniture. (Oversize materials should be shot in sections.)
- I will take photographs at designated tables only.
- I understand that bound volumes may only be photographed with permission of a curator.
Rules for Use of Images
- I understand that these photographs are for my private study, scholarship and research only.
- I will not post the photographs on the Internet, publish them in print, nor exhibit them.
- I will not donate, sell, or provide the photographs to another individual or repository.
- I will conform to United States copyright law (Title 17) in copying and making use these images.
Failure to follow the above rules will result in the termination of camera privileges.
These rules are stated on the Camera Use form, which must be downloaded, printed, and signed by those wishing to use a camera in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Copies are also available on site.